What is Vegan chicken made up of??
Vegan chicken is made from scratch with vital wheat gluten aka seitan.
Super flavourful, high in protein and perfectly spiced with wonderful texture.
It has that perfect chewy seitan texture and it’s spiced and flavoured to be similar
to chicken, but not exactly. It is super damn delicious in its own right
though. And it’s actually really easy too.
There are a couple of things to get the hang of, but on the whole, easy peas.
So, how to make vegan chicken?? Vegan chicken made from scratch with vital
wheat gluten aka seitan. Super flavourful, high in protein and perfectly
spiced with wonderful texture. ________________________________________
INGREDIENTS • 3/4 cup (123g) Canned Chickpeas (Drained)
• 1/4 cup (15g) Nutritional Yeast • 1 tsp Garlic Powder
• 1 tsp Onion Powder • 1/2 tsp Dried Thyme
• 1/4 tsp Coriander Powder • 1/2 tsp Dried Sage
• 2 tsp Vegan Chicken Spice (or Vegan Poultry Seasoning)
• 1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard • 3/4 cup (180ml) Vegan Chicken Stock
• 1 and 1/2 cups (225g) Vital Wheat Gluten For Frying:
• Vegan Butter (or sub oil) • Vegan Chicken Spice (to rub into fillets)
For Serving: • Fresh Lemon
• Fresh Parsley • Sea Salt and Black Pepper
1. Add the chickpeas, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, coriander powder,
sage, vegan chicken spice and Dijon mustard to the food processor along with the vegan
chicken stock and process until well mixed. 2. Pour this out into a mixing bowl and add
the vital wheat gluten. 3. Stir it in with a spoon and then almost
immediately get in there with your hands to mix it properly and knead just a few times.
4. You just want it to go from soft and sticky to just starting to become firm. *
5. Transfer to a cutting board and flatten it out before cutting into 4 pieces.
6. Wrap these 4 pieces in foil (loosely, they expand while steaming) and place into a steamer
and steam for 20 minutes. 7. When they have finished steaming, let them
cool for a few minutes and then unwrap them from the foil.
8. Cut each fillet lengthways down the middle (see photos) so that you have 8 fillets.
9. Sprinkle them with vegan chicken spice and rub in with your fingers.
10. Heat some vegan butter* and then fry the fillets in the butter, turning over regularly
until browned and crispy on both sides. 11. Depending on the size of your pan you
will likely have to do this in two batches. 12. Serve with fresh parsley and fresh lemon,
and a sprinkle of sea salt and black pepper. To see more vegan chicken recipes, like vegan
chicken wings. Like us and subscribe to our YouTube channel.